Thursday, February 9, 2012

Big Wood Report 2/8/2012

After waking up to an overcast sky and decent temperatures yesterday, I decided it was time to cover some water on the wood.  I trekked through deep snow to get to the river, but upon reaching the bank I was pleased to see midges sitting on the snow.  I started the day fishing heavy stonefly nymphs, with small nymphs tied off the shank.  The fish weren't in every hole, but once I found them, they were stacked.  I landed a good number of fish, mostly on the smaller dropper fly, before seeing trout starting to come up and sip midges.  I decided to try my luck with a griffith's gnat and found a few fish willing to take the dry.  This was my first dry fly action of the winter, which was a huge treat.  After a couple of nice dry fly eats, I headed for the car and something to warm up my frozen fingers.  These next few days should be even better than yesterday.  The wood is void of people and fishing well.  Get out there see if you can catch a midge hatch.  Here some shots from the day.








No comments:

Post a Comment